This Week's CSA - Week 6!
August is officially here, which means you have a whole month of summer left to enjoy. With that being said, are you ready to change up your palate and get messy in the kitchen? If so, then this is your month! The abundance and variety of fresh, local fruits and vegetables is at its peak in August and I’m so excited to see what the CSA harvest box has in store for me!
What was in this week’s box: kale, broccoli, red onion, cucumber, peas, strawberries and salad mix.
This week’s menu: salad, stir-fry, salad, stir-fry, salad and then you guessed it stir-fry. Sometimes the stir-fry was replaced with the infamous hash (roasted vegetables with an egg) but hash is more of a winter comfort food.
If you’re looking for a delicious stir-fry sauce recipe try this one:
- ½ cup soy sauce or Naked Coconut’s soy-free seasoning sauce (tastes like soy sauce but has 65% less sodium!)
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated or finely minced (1 tablespoon ground powdered ginger)
- 2 garlic cloves, grated or finely minced
- Whisk all ingredients together. Adjust the amount of sauce you add according to how much stir fry you're making. When adding to your stir-fry, allow to cook for 3 full minutes to allow the corn starch to thicken the sauce.
- Makes 1-1/4 cups. Will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for 1 week.
Challenge yourself this month to eat locally because everything your heart desires will be in season!
What’s your favourite ingredient for stir-fry?
If you enjoyed this post please click like, share it with family & friends or sign up to our newsletter to receive news and updates from Food Yourself.